Environmental Health & Safety Items
On- and off-campus sites, including all IFAS Stations, are required to obtain pre-approval from Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) before purchasing EH&S items. These include but are not limited to:
- 3D printers
- All renovation and construction
- Air purifying respirators
- Anaerobic chamber
- Asbestos decontamination or removal
- Autoclave and sterilizer
- Autopsy supplies and equipment
- Bench top fume collection cabinets
- Biological safety cabinets
- Boilers & pressure vessels
- Bulk storage tanks
- Cleaning of kitchen exhaust systems
- Compressed gas cabinets
- Disaster recovery services
- Dioxins and Tri-, Tetra- and Pentachlorophenol
- Electron Microscopes
- Environmental growth chamber
- Explosives and fireworks
- Eyewash stations and safety showers
- Fall protection devices (harnesses & lanyards)
- Food service equipment
- Fume hoods
- Hazardous waste disposal
- Ice Machines
- Isolation glove chamber
- Gas chromatographs
- Kitchen cooking appliances
- Kitchen exhaust systems
- Lab oven or furnace
- Lab vectors
- Liquid scintillation counter
- Microwave ovens
- Ozone generators
- Personal monitoring or detection equipment (confined space meters, gas meters, survey meters and dosimeters, etc.)
- Portable air cleaning devices
- Radioactive materials
- Refrigerators & freezers
- Repair of equipment that is required to be sent off campus (certification of cleaning and decontaminating will be required)
- Space Heaters
- Self contained breathing apparatus
- Tank and Cylinder and accessories
- Walk in refrigerator or coldroom
- X-ray machines
To receive EH&S approval send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org which contains the following information. Once EH&S approves the request you may make the purchase. EH&S’s written approval (email) must be attached with the transaction documentation.
- Department, lab, and principal investigator purchasing the equipment.
- The purpose of the equipment.
- Whether the equipment will be used to store flammable solvents (refrigerators and freezers only).
- Where the equipment will be used.
- Contact name and phone number.
Submit requests to:
Environmental Health and Safety
Attn: Laboratory Safety
P.O. Box 112190
Gainesville, Fl. 32611-2190
Please see the EH&S Directory for further contact information. You may also refer to the Procurement Directives, Section P regarding the purchase of EH&S items.